Monday, July 23, 2012

Who is Ani Darbinyan?




My name is Ani Darbinyan. I was born and raised in Armenia until the age of 12 when my family moved to the United States because of economic hardships. In the US, I am living in Glendale, California with my mother, father and brother. After graduating from high school with high honors, I got accepted to the University of California Berkeley where I studied Peace and Conflict studies, with a concentrationin conflict resolution, as well as Slavic Languages and Literatures. While inuniversity, I worked as a peer mentor advising fellow students to adopt study strategies such as time management and exam taking skills in order to succeed intheir courses.Later, I worked at the Glendale City Clerk's office coordinating special projects for the clerk and helping with other office functions. Currently, I am finishing up my Masters in Science degree in Public Management and Governance from London School of Economics and Political Science and at the same time participating in the Armenian Assembly of America summer internship program in Armenia where I am interning at Civilitas Foundation.
               I am really passionate about traveling, doing community service, and learning languages. I have studied abroad in Spain as well as in Costa Rica. In these two countries I have mastered Spanish and volunteered in organizations such as World Fair Trade Organization and the Non-Governmental Organization Friends of OSA, where I helped to rebuild a local library for children. Also, in addition to Spanish and English, I am fluent in Armenian andRussian.
               My personal path has been shaped by diverse backgrounds and relationships with people from around the world. One of my firm beliefs is that one hand doesn’t clap—two hands do. In other words, what can be achieved singlehandedly; can reach ultimate fruition with teamwork. Therefore, I will not cease to keep an open mind, but rather continue to grow as an individual wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment