Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Armenia

It's amazing how fast time goes by when you are having fun. Two months came and went. Next thing I knew it was time to say goodbye to Armenia. This was my first trip to Armenia in twenty years. I had a wonderful journey. I hope to come back very soon.

I have learned so much during this trip. Going through AAA was a great opportunity to reconnect with my country and my culture. When I first came to Armenia, it felt so surreal to be there. It took me a couple of days to realize that I was actually in Armenia. From then on my journey took off. There was so much to do and so much to see. It helped a lot that AAA had events and excursions planned for us. Another helpful aspect of the program was doing an internship. I enjoyed my internship at ACNIS. I was able to understand the real issues in Armenia and what kind of struggles people go through. I met a lot of locals who I befriended and still keep in touch with. Before coming to Armenia I did not know a lot about the country. But I left with so much more then I could imagine. This experience has definitely changed me in many ways. It was an eye opening experience that will stay with me forever.

It's impossible to sum up all the different emotions that go through you when you are experiencing something for the first time. There is no other feeling in the world that compares. You get a sense of belonging and family. Coming back after twenty years was not easy, I did not know what to expect. Visiting my relatives gave me a chance to reconnect with who I was and where I came from. I hope a lot more people will have an opportunity to do this program in the future. I really do recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment